Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
National

Shark bites confirmed for Hua Hin tourist

Marine and Coastal Resources Department officials on Wednesday check the area where Norwegian Werner Danielsen was bitten by a shark during a swim on Sunday. (Photo by Chaiwat Satyaem)

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: A Norwegian tourist was bitten by a shark, officials confirmed for the first time on Wednesday, as they planned more safety measures for swimmers.

Sophon Thongdee, the deputy chief of the Marine and Coastal Resources Department, and provincial governor Pallop Singhaseni said on Wednesday Werner Danielsen had been bitten by a bull shark while swimming at Sai Noi beach in Hua Hin district on Sunday.

Judging from the wound on his left leg, marine experts said the shark was about one year old and about one metre long, the governor said.

Mr Werner, 54, is still at Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital but his condition is stable, the governor added. He suffered tendon damage and received 19 stitches.

The beach has been sealed off for at least 20 days due to safety concerns for tourists, by which time the department plans to install long, floating nets to demarcate swimming zones.

The governor said a drone would be used to fly patrols over the area to alert officials about any dangers for swimmers.

The sea near Wat Tham Khao Tao where the Norwegian was attacked is a declared no-fishing zone, and is rich in fish and other marine life. 

A video posted by the abbot of Wat Kham Khao Tao appears to show sharks swimming close to the temple. (Video by Daeng Jitwarin via Khon Pranburi Facebook page)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.