Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
Mohammad Samra

Thousands without power following severe thunderstorms

Thousands of residents were without power after severe thunderstorms passed through northern Illinois early Thursday.

At least 28,000 customers were affected by the storms and damaging winds, according to Commonwealth Edison.

Wind gusts reached at least 60 mph at DuPage and Midway airports, according to Matt Friedlein, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service. Wind gusts peaked mostly from 2 a.m. to 3:30 a.m.

The strongest winds were clocked in Kane, DuPage and Cook counties, according to a storm report from the weather service. Most of the damage was to branches, small trees and power lines, Friedlein said.

The threat of severe weather in Chicago and surrounding areas is over, though there is the potential for a storm later in the day, Friedlein said.

Severe thunderstorm warnings had been issued for Chicago, Aurora, Naperville, Waukegan, Buffalo Grove and Crystal Lake until 3:30 a.m.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.