Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National
Anthony France

Seventh Met Police officer filmed in TV exposé sacked for appalling anti-Muslim slurs

A Metropolitan Police officer has become the seventh sacked over an undercover BBC Panorama documentary that exposed unacceptable behaviour.

PC Sean Park, based at Charing Cross Police Station, expressed “appalling” discriminatory and disrespectful views about Muslims.

He boasted about pretending not to see an alleged excessive use of force by another officer who is said to have stomped on a detainee’s ankle and failed to challenge what had happened, the force said.

Park also failed to challenge discriminatory views of PC Martin Borg, who was previously dismissed for saying he joined the police to take part in “legal f****** scraps”.

But the broadcaster came under criticism “once again” for the late disclosure of additional unaired footage at extremely short notice relating to the former PC Brain Sharkey, whose case has had to be adjourned.

A gross misconduct panel found allegations proven for Park, attached to Central West Command Unit, following the broadcast of BBC Panorama on October 1.

Commander Simon Messinger said: ”PC Park’s conduct fell very far below the high standard we expect of all our officers.

“His comments were appalling, along with his apparent condonement of inappropriate use of force against a detainee, and it is entirely right he has now lost his job.

“PC Park’s hearing was the penultimate accelerated misconduct process to be held.

“Today we should also have been holding a hearing for former PC Brain Sharkey.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley and Panorama reporter Rory Bibb (PA/BBC)

“However, the BBC have once again disclosed additional unaired footage to the Independent Office for Police Conduct at extremely short notice – just yesterday – which has now been shared with the Met.

“It is frustrating to have to adjourn proceedings but it is right we examine this footage to ensure all the available evidence is presented to the hearing in relation to this former officer. A new hearing will take place as soon as possible.”

Park was found to have breached standards of professional behaviour for authority, respect and courtesy, discreditable conduct, challenging and reporting improper conduct and equality and diversity.

Along with the other officers dismissed, he will be added to the Barred List held by the College of Policing to prevent him re-joining the police or being employed by other related bodies.

Former PC Brian Sharkey was previously attached to Central West Command Unit before he retired. His new hearing is likely to take place in February.

The IOPC investigation into misconduct at Charing Cross continues.

In response to Scotland Yard’s rebuke, the BBC said: “We are glad to see the Met’s recognition of the value of Panorama’s journalism, and we are actively engaged with assisting the IOPC.

“So far there have been seven dismissals from the Met Police because of the evidence found in the Panorama investigation and provided by the BBC.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.