Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Sport
Murray Wenzel

Sevens star Caslick commits to Games bid

Rugby sevens standout Charlotte Caslick hopes to begin contact training by Saturday, six weeks after fracturing her spine, as she targets another Olympic gold.

The Australian playmaker committed to the 2021 Olympics in Tokyo on Thursday, waving away concerns of any long-term injury after receiving the strongest word yet that the Games will go ahead.

The 25-year-old was a prize NRLW recruit for the Sydney Roosters after Tokyo's 2020 Games were postponed and the women's sevens world series cancelled.

She lasted less than two games though, missing the Roosters' grand-final appearance after copping a stray knee to the back and sustaining two small fractures in her lumbar spine.

Caslick, who is already completing running and skills sessions, had been linked to a code switch in the past but she says the shortlived cameo will remain exactly that for the near future.

"I would never do it full-time while sevens is going the way it's going," she said.

"It's still leading the way in the contact sport domain for women and while I can still train professionally I won't be passing it up."

Caslick burst onto the scene with a starring role as Australia won the first Olympic gold on offer four years ago.

New Zealand then pinched the 2018 Commonwealth Games gold medal off Australia in extra time, while countries like Canada, France, the United States and Russia have since emerged as genuine threats.

COVID-19 continues to cast doubt over the new Games date but Caslick is confident they'll have a chance to defend their title.

"We had the chef de mission for the AOC (Ian Chesterman) in yesterday and he's put his house on it that we're going," she said.

"It was certainly hard watching the NRL, AFL, Super Rugby grand finals and not being out there doing it, but we'll get our chance and I'm sure they'll be jealous watching us at the Olympics."

Coach John Manenti said Caslick's return was crucial for their hopes and admitted the 12-month postponement would work in their favour.

"We were still chasing, and chasing hard to get to where we wanted to be," he said.

"We blooded a lot of young girls last year ... I didn't know COVID was coming but it's worked in our favour and 12 months on they'll be a ripe age and we'll have a lot of players putting their hand up for Olympic spots."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.