Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Economic Times
The Economic Times
Trending Desk

Seven year-old Pune kid dies after being trapped in society's lift for over a hour

A seven-year-old boy died after getting trapped between the collapsible grille and wooden door of a lift in a residential society building in Pune’s Wadgaon Budruk area on Monday night, police told TOI.

The deceased was identified as Shivansh Shailesh Dhut, a resident of Siddhi Society in Nimbajnagar under the Sinhagad Road area. The incident took place at around 10 pm.

According to police, Shivansh was playing with friends in the society premises before he allegedly entered the lift alone to go to his family’s flat on the second floor of the four-storey building.

Also Read: ‘Indian gyms surprised me’: Ukrainian woman compares fitness culture in India and Europe

Boy reportedly trapped as lift started moving

Police said the child got trapped between the outer wooden door and inner collapsible grille as the lift began moving.

Sub-inspector Santosh Bhandwalkar of the Sinhagad Road police station said the lift eventually stopped on the second floor. Residents reportedly did not hear the child screaming or calling for help.

The incident came to light around 10.30 pm when some residents noticed the lift stuck on the second floor. Upon inspection, they found the child trapped inside and immediately alerted the police and fire brigade.

Child declared dead at hospital

Fire brigade personnel and police officials rescued the boy from the gap between the lift door and collapsible grille on the second-floor slab, police said.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital, where doctors declared him dead before treatment could begin.

Also Read: PM Narendra Modi gifts Melody toffee to Italian PM Giorgia Meloni. Watch video

Police register accidental death case

The Sinhagad Road police on Tuesday registered an accidental death report and launched a further investigation into the incident.

Senior Police Inspector Vinayak Patankar said further probe was underway.

Police officials said they were yet to verify whether the mandatory annual maintenance of the nearly 25-year-old lift had been carried out.

(With inputs from TOI and PTI)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.