A SERIOUS nuclear incident took place at the Faslane nuclear base earlier this year.
Figures released to The Herald revealed that a Category A event – the most serious category – took place between January 1 and April 22 this year.
According to the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and Ministry of Defence, a Category A event has an “actual or high potential for radioactive release to the environment” in breach of safety limits.
In answer to a written question, Minister for Defence Procurement Maria Eagle MP also confirmed that between April 2024 and April 2025, five Category B incidents occurred, 29 Category C and 71 Category D.
The Ministry of Defence has been approached for comment.
The SNP has called for an urgent explanation from the Labour government, with a separate release of radioactive waste in neighbouring Loch Long also uncovered by The Ferret and The Guardian last week – sparking fresh fears about the environmental and public health impact of the UK’s nuclear weapons programme.
SNP depute Leader Keith Brown MSP said this new information is “deeply worrying”.
“With repeated reports of serious incidents at Faslane and now confirmed radioactive contamination in Loch Long, it’s clear these weapons are not only poorly maintained but are a direct threat to our environment, our communities, and our safety,” he said.
“Worse still, the Labour government is refusing to provide any details about the Category A incident, or the full extent of the contamination, including who could potentially be affected.”
Brown added: “While Westminster ploughs billions of public money into weapons of mass destruction, the SNP is focused on building a better Scotland. But only with independence, can we scrap Trident, clean up the mess it has left behind, and ensure this kind of reckless nuclear policy is never forced on Scotland again.”