Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
National
Greta Stonehouse

Sentence for NSW man over 1970s robberies

Ex-Sydney floor trader Ross McCarty is due to be sentenced for robberies he committed in the 1970s. (AAP)

A 71-year-old who led a double life in which he would "get boozed at lunch time" and rob banks is set to be sentenced after pleading guilty to robberies from more than 40 years ago.

Ross Oliver McCarty, was giving evidence at his sentence hearing in Sydney when he "unreservedly apologised' to the victims he threatened during a string of hold-ups in 1977 and 1978.

The former floor trader has pleaded guilty to four robberies and asked the judge to take into account another four crimes which took place over 10 months.

Earlier this month McCarty appeared in the NSW District Court after advancements in fingerprint technology led to him being arrested at his Edgecliff home in 2018.

McCarty read out a letter in court addressed to those he had threatened, saying he had deluded himself at the time into believing his "appalling actions were justified".

"I truly hope you have been able to recover from the trauma I inflicted on you many years ago," he said.

McCarty told Judge Sarah Huggett at the time he had outstanding gambling debts and had received threats of violence if left unpaid.

He viewed his arrest as an opportunity to "rid the demons" and confessed to an armed robbery with which he had not been charged.

McCarty has not gambled in more than 30 years and has abstained from alcohol since 1989.

He is due to be sentenced by Judge Huggett on Friday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.