Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Joe Middleton

Second person dies after crowd crush at Brixton O2 Academy

Metropolitan Police

A second person who suffered injuries during a crowd crush at an Asake concert at the O2 Brixton Academy on Thursday has died.

Gaby Hutchinson, 23, was one of three people badly hurt when ticketless fans tried to get into a show by Nigerian artist Asake at the south London venue. He died in hospital in the early hours of Monday.

He was working as security at the venue, the Metropolitan Police said today.

Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove of Met Police, said: “It is devastating news that a second person has lost their life following the events on Thursday. I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to Gaby’s family at this unimaginably difficult time.”

A 21-year-old woman remains in a critical condition. The force said the three people critically injured in the crush were all in the foyer of the building.

The Met Police said today that the investigation into the incident is “large and complex” and they are reviewing footage and speaking to witnesses to ascertain what happened.

Police outside Brixton O2 Academy (Kirsty O’Connor/PA) (PA Wire)

The police cordon outside the venue has now been removed, but officers are still examining the inside of the building.

It comes after Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, from Newham, east London, died in hospital on Saturday.

Ms Ikumelo’s family said in a statement: “Rebecca was a graduate of nursing. She was an adorable mother of two children who loved working with kids.

“She was well respected in the family for her care, kindness and love. Her parents call her Tosin (short for Oluwatosin) meaning ‘Lord is Worthy’.”

Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, from Newham, east London, died in hospital on Saturday following the gig (PA)

Asake said he was “devastated” and “overwhelmed with grief” by Ms Ikumelo’s death.

In a statement posted on Instagram, he said: “I am devastated by the news that Rebecca Ikumelo who was in a critical condition since Thursday has sadly passed away.

“My sincerest condolences to her loved ones at this time. Let us please keep her family in our prayers. I have spoken to them and will continue to do so.

“I am overwhelmed with grief and could never have imagined anything like this happening.

“My team and I are still awaiting the full debrief back from the venue management and the police to determine what exactly led to all the disruption caused and ultimately to Rebecca’s passing.

“If you have any relevant information relating to this please do reach out to the Metropolitan Police.”

Additional reporting by PA

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.