Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
David Struett

Second man charged in 2020 murder on Wabash Bridge downtown

Screen capture of footage released by police of a fatal shooting July 19, 2020, in the 300 block of North Wabash Avenue. | Chicago Police Department

Murder charges have been filed against a second man in connection with a shooting last year on the Wabash Avenue bridge downtown.

Police say Deandre Lewis, 23, participated in the July 19 murder of 35-year-old Gregory Crawford, Chicago police said.

Another murder charge had been filed in January against Charles James, one of the shooters who killed Crawford and wounded a woman, police said.

The victims had been driving across the bridge early that morning when men on a sidewalk opened fire while arguing with another man on the street, police said.

Crawford was shot in his neck and died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, authorities have said. The woman, 25, was hospitalized in serious condition with gunshot wounds to her arms.

Lewis was arrested Thursday in Rockford and was expected to appear in Cook County court Friday, police said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.