Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Camron Slessor

Third Adelaide high school to close after student tests positive to COVID-19

One of Adelaide's most prestigious private colleges has confirmed one of its students has tested positive for COVID-19, as South Australia's total number of confirmed coronavirus cases has its biggest jump in one day.

Scotch College, which has two adjacent campuses in Torrens Park and Mitcham, in Adelaide's inner-south, will close both campuses for 24 to 48 hours.

It said both campuses would be bio-cleaned on Tuesday.

The student's movements on Friday have been identified, and the school is working closely with SA Health to get in touch with parents, students and staff who may have come into close proximity with the child.

It is the second confirmed case of a student testing positive for coronavirus, after a high school student from Sacred Heart College was confirmed as a case last week.

Later on Monday night, the Department of Education said Unley High School will close after a member of the school community tested positive for COVID-19.

The school's middle and senior campuses were closed today after the boy tested positive for the virus on Friday.

Health authorities issued a late update to the number of confirmed cases of coronavirus, jumping from 20 to 30.

The new cases include the Scotch College student, as well as a man and woman in their 50s.

The woman recently returned from the Philippines and the man had contact with a confirmed case in the United States.

People should be 'bracing themselves for more cases'

Dr Michael Cusack said there was still no clear evidence of community transmission in the state.

"It's so important that we adopt the public health measures that we've been discussing in previous press conferences around social distancing, hand hygiene and so forth," he said.

"And if people become sick or develop symptoms, it is essential that they self-isolate and if they meet the criteria, then they should attend a COVID clinic and get tested."

SA Health Minster Stephen Wade said after another two confirmed cases, the advice for the public was clear.

"South Australians need to be bracing themselves for the fact that there will be more cases," he said.

"There's been a significant number of additional confirmed cases in Australia in the last week, it's very important that we step up, the people of SA need to be taking the message of public health officials very seriously."

Yesterday, Premier Steven Marshall declared a public health emergency for South Australia.

He said public health officers had been empowered "to take all the necessary actions to keep the people of South Australia as safe as we possibly can".

"We have declared a public health emergency," the Premier said.

"These are uncharted waters for our nation."

It is understood to be the first time such a step has been taken in South Australia.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.