Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Politics
Ethan James

Tas boating tragedy hits tight-knit town

The loss of three friends in a boating tragedy has been felt deeply in Wynyard, northwest Tasmania. (AAP)

A boating trip taken by three friends in northwest Tasmania that turned fatal will impact the tight-knit coastal region for decades, a local mayor says.

Isaiah Dixon, Thomas Courto and Bree-Anna Thomas, all from the northwest, were reported missing on Monday afternoon after leaving Wynyard on a yellow and white 17-foot motorboat around midday.

Following extensive aerial, sea and land searches, the bodies of Ms Thomas and Mr Dixon were spotted washed ashore on Wednesday afternoon at nearby Table Cape.

Search efforts resumed on Thursday morning for the vessel and Mr Courto.

Waratah-Wynyard mayor Robby Walsh said more than 100 people congregated in the cold at the town's boat ramp on Wednesday night.

"I don't know how long they stayed, it was dark when I left and they were still going strongly, supporting each other," he said.

People have started leaving flowers and messages of support at a park in Wynyard's centre.

"A small gesture to show support and condolences to all family and friends who have experienced such heartbreak this week," one reads.

"As a town, we are with you."

Mr Walsh, who knows several generations of the Dixon family, said the families wanted to pass on thanks to the community and those involved in the search.

"It's a terrible situation. We're a close-knit community," he said.

"It'll never be forgotten. This is going to stay with the community for decades."

Nothing has so far been recovered from the boat, which was last spotted off Boat Harbour Beach to the west of Wynyard on Monday afternoon.

Mobile phones belonging to the trio have not returned a signal since around then.

Volunteer boaties hit the ocean on Tuesday to help in the search but have since been told by police to not head out due to rough conditions.

"Experienced boat people who went out to volunteer, they became seasick. That's how bad it was," Mr Walsh said of Tuesday's swells.

Police say their efforts on Thursday will be focused on the Fossil Bluff and Table Cape area.

Mr Walsh said people were waiting at the boat ramp for any news.

"They're sticking it out there, it's all they can do I guess."

The boat was equipped with the required safety equipment including flares, radio, EPIRB and flotation devices.

Mr Dixon held a boating licence, police have said, while the boat is believed to belong to his father.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.