Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National

Search called off for missing swimmer in South Australia

Surf lifesavers helped search extensively in the area over the weekend.

An extensive air and sea search for a 70-year-old man missing in waters off Port Elliot has been called off, with no sign of the swimmer in three days.

The search had resumed this morning for the man from Hackham, in Adelaide's south, who had been missing in the area since 9:45am on Friday.

Police said the man was believed to be a regular swimmer in the water at Horseshoe Bay, on the Fleurieu Peninsula.

Emergency services and police began a search of sea and land in the area on Saturday after the alert was raised just after 11:30am.

The alert was raised when the man's car was found in a nearby car park.

Police will continue to monitor the area

Police said officers from its water operations unit along with local police, SES, CFS, Port Elliot and Goolwa Surf Lifesaving Club and PolAir had carried out a land and sea search over the past 48 hours which had concluded.

On Saturday, the rescue team, along with a fixed-wing aircraft searched the area until 6:00pm before it was called off for the night.

The search continued on Sunday.

Over the weekend the police helicopter, along with the water operation team, had expanded the search area past Basham Beach, 2 kilometres away, while SES and CFS crews also searched for any sign of the man on land.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.