Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Cameron DaSilva

Sean McVay: Bryce Perkins is making it ‘a very difficult decision’ to keep 2 or 3 QBs

Sean McVay and the Rams typically only keep two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. They carried Jared Goff and John Wolford last year, and it would seem they’d likely only keep Matthew Stafford and Wolford this season.

But Bryce Perkins is making them seriously consider keeping three quarterbacks on the roster. That’s because he’s played well in the preseason, doing everything he can to keep the ball moving on offense despite playing with the Rams’ second- and third-string players.

With another strong performance on Saturday night, Perkins further helped his stock with 201 yards passing and 50 yards rushing, completing 23 of his 42 passes against Denver. McVay said after the game that Perkins is making it a tough call as the Rams weigh how many quarterbacks to keep on the active roster.

“It has not been made yet and to Bryce’s credit, he’s definitely making a very difficult decision because you know you’ve got Matthew, you’ve got John,” he said. “Feel excellent about those guys, but I think Bryce can be really proud of the body of work he put on tape throughout the three weeks of the preseason. He’s continued to grow. I think it’s a real credit to Kevin O’Connell and Zac Robinson. He’s a resilient competitor. You can see it, and I thought it was on display again tonight. … Definitely going to make it a tough decision for us.”

Perkins spent last year on the practice squad after signing with the Rams as an undrafted free agent out of Virginia. He’s developed into an even better passer than he was in college, which is what makes him someone the Rams might keep on the 53-man roster.

They’d love to add him to the practice squad, but that can only happen if he clears waivers and isn’t claimed by another team. In that case, he would land on their active roster, preventing the Rams from keeping him on the practice squad.

It’s possible he’ll clear waivers, but with so many teams around the league looking to carry three quarterbacks due to COVID-19, there’s a chance someone will claim him from the Rams.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.