Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Liz Mathews

Seahawks backup quarterback competition shaping up to be strong

The Seattle Seahawks signed veteran free agent Geno Smith last week to add a third quarterback to the roster and compete with Paxton Lynch to back up starter Russell Wilson.

“We just want competition, we want the competition,” coach Pete Carroll said Tuesday after the team’s open OTA. “Geno was available and we thought it would be worth the shot. He made a great impression here starting us out so let the games begin.”

The Seahawks have struggled recently to find a solid backup for Wilson, shuffling the bench over the last few years. Similarly, Smith – a former second-round selection – has yet to find his place in the league, having spent time with the Jets, Giants and Chargers.

“He’s a good athlete, he’s got a good arm, he’s played a lot of football,” Carroll said. “We’ve seen enough of him to see that he’s got the style to play the game and all. Just need to see where he fits in.”

Seattle hosted a number of quarterbacks during the team’s rookie minicamp at the start of the month, but Carroll wasn’t satisfied with the production. The Seahawks have finally settled on two veteran options to compete for the job.

“We’ll let these guys battle it out and see how it goes,” Carroll continued. “Two really capable, talented guys to have a shot at it. I’m really thinking that’s as strong as we’ve been in terms of the competitiveness of the backup spot. So, looking forward to it.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.