Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The National (Scotland)
The National (Scotland)
National
Lucy Jackson

Scottish Labour MSP Colin Smyth issues statement after 'toilet camera' allegations

SUSPENDED MSP Colin Smyth has issued a statement after it emerged he was charged over allegations that a secret camera was placed inside Holyrood toilets.

Smyth, who was Scottish Labour MSP for South Scotland, was arrested and charged earlier this month in connection with "possession of indecent images", leading to his suspension from the party.

On Thursday, it emerged that Smyth had been charged a second time over allegations he installed recording devices in the toilets.

Police Scotland subsequently conducted a complete sweep of the Scottish Parliament toilets and changing rooms, where they confirmed no "covert recording devices" had been found.

In a statement released on Friday afternoon, Smyth said: "This allegation has come as an utter shock and one I strongly refute.

"For legal reasons, I can't respond to specific matters or speculation, and I appreciate there is a process to go through which I am, of course, fully cooperating with. But I sincerely hope it can be concluded quickly and fairly."

Smyth added: "The speculation, and the recent decision by the police to publicly release details of their ongoing inquiries along with my home address has been devastating and has taken a serious toll on my health.

"After my address was published with no warning to my family, I felt I had no choice but to move away to protect them. That has also meant losing the local NHS critical support I had been receiving for the past few weeks, making an already difficult time even more distressing.

"I would therefore ask that the privacy of myself, but above all my family and friends, is respected while this matter is resolved. Having this hanging over them is especially overwhelming."

In an email to MSPs and staff on Friday morning, Presiding Officer Alison Johnstone said: "You will have read the deeply concerning reports in the media this morning, and we understand the unease and anxiety this will be causing you.

"We can confirm that Police Scotland, with our support, have conducted a full sweep of all toilets and changing rooms in our building and that no covert recording devices have been found. We have also instructed that enhanced additional checks to our existing security sweeps of the building take place going forward.

"Please be assured that our priority is your safety and welfare, and please be confident to use the building as you would normally.

"We do realise this is a difficult time for building users and will write with further information later. Do not hesitate to contact us if there is any support or advice we can provide."

A Police Scotland spokesperson previously said: "On Tuesday, August 5 2025, officers executed a warrant at a property on Marchfield Avenue, Dumfries.

“A 52-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with possession of indecent images. He is due to appear at Dumfries Sheriff Court at a later date."

The force declined to provide an updated comment.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.