Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Politics
Peter Davidson

Scottish Government considering cutting self-isolation rules for fully vaccinated people

The self-isolation period could be slashed in Scotland for fully vaccinated people to a week, John Swinney announced.

The Deputy First Minister said the Scottish Government was considering cutting the period at which people have to remain indoors from 10 days to seven.

From today, those who receive negative lateral flow results on day six and day seven of their self-isolation period in England, and are vaccinated, will no longer have to self-isolate for the full 10 days.

The rule change may help thousands of people see their families in time for Christmas.

Earlier this month Nicola Sturgeon announced that self-isolation rules would be extended due to the rise in the rapidly spreading Omicron variant across the country.

Asked on the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme if rules could be changed north of the border, Swinney said: "We will, of course, consider the proposition that the United Kingdom Government has brought forward.

"There are options that can be taken forward about self-isolation arrangements.

"I think what we have to recognise is that the number of cases is likely to become so significant, it's already much more significant.

"We're now looking at about 5,500 cases a day compared to about 3,500 a day which was just a week ago.

"That's going to give rise to significant absence levels to many private and public services, and that question brings into question the sustainability of some of these services which is why we have to act to try to slow down the circulation of the virus."

Host Laura Maxwell asked: "Reducing self-isolation would help wouldn't it?"

Swinney replied: "Of course it would, but we can't escape the fact that we've got to stop the circulation of the virus.

"That's the inescapable challenge that we face."

It comes as Scotland's traditional Hogmanay celebrations will be cancelled and live sports will be "effectively spectator-free" for three weeks from Boxing Day as part of new Covid-19 restrictions, Nicola Sturgeon said on Tuesday.

The First Minister also introduced new curbs on hospitality and urged people to "stay at home as much as possible" until at least the first week of January.

To sign up to the Daily Record Politics newsletter, click here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.