Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Bruce Golding

Scott Jennings makes public pitch for Leavitt’s job by defending Natalie Harp’s ‘honor’ as he meets with Trump’s chief of staff

Combative MAGA mouthpiece Scott Jennings is defending the “honor” of White House aide Natalie Harp in an apparent audition for the job of press secretary — following a reported private meeting with President Donald Trump's chief of staff.

Jennings, a CNN political commentator, has sent video clips to senior administration staffers that show him attacking Senator Jon Ossoff over the Georgia Democrat's recent remarks about the relationship between Harp, 35, and the 80-year-old president, Politico reported Thursday, citing an unidentified source close to the White House.

He also arranged a sit-down this past weekend with White House chief of staff Susie Wiles as officials consider a replacement for outgoing press secretary Karoline Leavitt, Politico said.

The White House didn't immediately respond to an inquiry from The Independent.

Jennings told Politico he didn't have “anything to say” about whether he wanted to be Trump's next press secretary, but said he felt compelled to stand up for Harp after Ossoff told supporters Sunday that Trump “wants to build his ballroom and travel with Natalie” rather than “do the job” of the president.

“I just don’t think that’s what you sign up for when you’re someone like Natalie Harp, who never put her name on a ballot. She’s not the White House press secretary. She’s not a household name, and I just find it to be appalling,” Jennings said. “Somebody needs to defend her honor.”

Harp, a former far-right cable TV host, is a former Trump campaign staffer who's written letters to him that include her saying, “You are all that matters to me,” The New York Times reported shortly after Trump's 2024 re-election.

‘Somebody needs to defend her honor,’ Jennings says of White House aide Natalie Harp, right, seen standing at attention as President Donald Trump walks past her (AFP/Getty)
‘Somebody needs to defend her honor,’ Jennings says of White House aide Natalie Harp, right, seen standing at attention as President Donald Trump walks past her (AFP/Getty)

Last month, she was among three aides who secretly flew with Trump from Turkey to the U.K. after Trump was snuck off Air Force One in a catering container, and Politico said Trump has privately acknowledged her dedication to serving him.

“[Trump] jokes that if Natalie were to ever leave, he’d have to hire 10 people to replace her,” a White House official reportedly said.

Trump and those around him like Jennings, Politico said, adding that the president has been calling allies to ask what they think about picking him to replace Leavitt.

Notus reported Wednesday night that Trump has told close advisers that he wanted a male press secretary after putting four women in the position following the brief tenure of Sean Spicer at the start of his first term.

Trump has expressed interest in Jennings, Notus said, but other men are reportedly under consideration, including Ari Fleischer, a former press secretary for President George W. Bush.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.