Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Health
Kathleen Speirs

Scots in need to dine at Glasgow restaurant in virus rules protest

Scots in need are set to dine in a Glasgow restaurant in a protest against the latest coronavirus restrictions.

Around 60 diners are gathering at Buck's Bar in Glasgow on Monday at 2pm for Eat Out To Reach Out, a socially distanced meal on the house.

The campaign is headed up Michael Bergson, 45, who runs the firm's West Regent Street franchise. 

He said their aim was to raise awareness around what they feel is a lack of support for Scotland' hospitality industry as well as those most in need during the pandemic.

Staff at Buck's Bar fear for their business amid the latest coronavirus restrictions (Instagram)

Michael said: "There is zero scientific evidence or correlation between hospitality being open safely with all key measures in place and the virus spreading.

"I feel that the UK Government and the Scottish Government are failing to engage and adequately support hospitality.

"From our perspective, the Scottish Government have done even less to support the industry than they have in England. 

"We believe social interaction, food, drink, music, all these things when done safely, is vital for public mental health.

"We don't think the balance is right between public mental health and preventing the spread of a virus."

The peaceful protest takes place on Monday afternoon. (Instagram)

Buck's Bar was one of a plethora of hospitality venues shut down by the Scottish Government 16 days ago.

In the central belt pubs, bars and resturants were ordered to close completely.

Hotels could only serve residents and could not serve alcohol.

Cafes were permitted to stay open but only until 6pm.

Michael Bergson took to social media to launch the campaign (Instagram)

The measure was expected to last until Monday.

Last week, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announced that it would be extended for one more week.

Michael explained how the peaceful protest would work; kicking off at 2pm and finishing at around 5pm.

He added: "We're asking you to invite someone who's in need to come along to Bucks for a complimentary meal.

"It'll all be socially distanced.

"The meal will be on the house.

"There will be no money exchanging hands.

"It will not include alcohol.

"It's a chance for you to get someone in who's in need, whether they're feeling down, lonely, isolated, they've lost their job, or they've even lost someone due to Covid.

"They can come along with one guest who's either in the same household as them or in their support bubble and have a socially distanced meal on the house at Buck's Bar West Regent Street."

On Facebook alone, Michael's video appeal has amassed hundreds of views in just a few days.

So far over 2,600 Scots have died after contracting Covid-19.

For more updates follow our live blog.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.