Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

SCG allowed to hold 46,000 for mardi gras

The SCG mardi gras parade on March 6 will focus on pageantry of costumes, puppetry and props. (AAP)

Sydney's Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras will now be able to host 46,000 spectators at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Last month it was announced next year's celebration would be a COVID-safe ticketed event at the SCG, with a maximum of 23,000 spectators - instead of the traditional parade up Oxford St in Darlinghurst.

However, as restrictions in NSW have eased, the SCG can now operate at full capacity.

Mardi Gras CEO Albert Kruger said the SCG parade on March 6 would move away from the traditional large floats and instead focus on pageantry of costumes, puppetry and props.

"We are extremely pleased that the easing of restrictions means we can extend our offering to 2000 free tickets in total, ensuring that as many people as possible can celebrate their pride with us in person on the night," he said on Monday.

Additional parade seating will go on sale on Wednesday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.