Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Edinburgh Live
Edinburgh Live
Lucy Marshall

Scared mum 'spiked with EpiPen-style injection' says she'll never go out again

A horrified mum woke up naked, struggling to walk and with no memory of what had happened after being 'spiked' while on a night out with pals.

Social worker Lauren told how she was on what should have been a fun night out with colleagues in Hull on Saturday, November 13, when she was targeted.

The single mum, 27, says she will "never go on a night out again" after believing she had been spiked with an EpiPen-style injection. And she told Hull Live how she now believes someone was "either trying to rape or kill" her.

READ MORE - Emergency services rush to crash involving five vehicles on busy Edinburgh road

Edinburgh Live has reported recently on numerous similar 'spiking' cases in the capital with other reports of women being targeted across the UK.

Terrified Lauren said she finished her night "unable to feel her legs" before "having 10 fits" and being rushed to Hull Royal Infirmary in an ambulance.

Humberside Police are now investigating.

Mum-of-one Lauren said she had met some of her work friends at around 3pm before her best friend, aunty, cousin, and another friend arrived at around 4.30pm, at which point she said she made the conscious decision to pace herself.

She said she stopped drinking for an hour or so and started again at 6pm. The group then headed to the next bar from 9.30pm until 10.30pm, before leaving to take one of their friends home and popping to the shop to pick up snacks.

Within around five minutes, Lauren said she began feeling strange. She said: "We were walking down the city centre to take one of our friends home as her little girl was crying apparently.

"Then I said to my friends that my legs felt weird and I was freezing. I just kept telling them that I was cold.

"They told me that I then bent down to sit in the corner of the street. I was clutching myself and my friend said my eyes starting shutting."

Lauren's friends called for a taxi home before things began to "turn bad really fast".

Lauren added: "Everything went really quick, it happened over 29 minutes from being really cold to then my friends saying I just would not come around - I think at the time they just thought I had had too much to drink really.

"My friend said I laid back in the taxi and kept repeating that I was cold, then looked up and said 'I think I have been spiked'.

"Lauren took me inside and said I just wouldn't wake up. She said that I had around 10 fits and she didn't know what to do."

Lauren's friend Natalie rang an ambulance and she was rushed to hospitaI.

Lauren said: "I woke up and I was naked. I didn't know what had happened, I thought I had been raped. I said to the nurse 'what's going on', to which she said 'don't worry we are just doing an examination'.

"The nurse then said that she had found a mark on my bum, a big red circle with a small brown centre, and said she believed I had been spiked with something like an EpiPen in my bum.

"My mum looked at it when we were home too and said there was a red ring on my bum."

Lauren has been suffering for the last few days, saying it hurts when she walks and sits down.

Though she is trying to keep a brave face for her daughter, she said her confidence has completely gone.

She added: "I honestly will never go out again. I don't trust anyone any more. It's sad I'm only 27.

"It hurts when I walk. I can’t even walk properly but I am trying to hide it from my daughter. I have to be strong for her. I would love to be able to rest but I can’t, I’m a single mum. I'm just trying to get on with things best as I can.

"I've always been quite a confident person and not really scared of anything, but this has totally knocked my confidence."

Lauren said that she was supposed to have a Christmas party with her work colleagues too, but now it is going to be cancelled as well as other social events involving nights out

She has now said that many of her friends have also said they are scared to go out on nights out again too.

"It's just not worth it, I need to be here for my daughter," she added.

A spokesperson for Humberside Police confirmed that investigations into the incident are ongoing.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.