Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Saudi Arabia Downs 2 Houthi Drones Heading Toward Jazan

Colonel Turki al-Maliki during a press conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 27 August 2018. EPA

Saudi air defenses intercepted on Thursday two drones launched by Iran-backed Houthi militias toward Jazan, the Arab Coalition spokesman said.

In a statement carried by the Saudi state news agency SPA, the spokesman, Colonel Turki al-Maliki, said the drones were downed.

He reiterated that Saudi Arabia has the right to take any measure that would deter such hostile acts.

Earlier Thursday, the Coalition said a projectile launched by the militias had landed on Wednesday night near a Saudi desalination plant in Shuqaiq, causing no casualties or damage.

Maliki said security forces were working to determine what type of projectile had been used.

The attack constitutes a war crime for targeting civilian facilities, and shows that Iran is supplying the insurgents with new weapons, Maliki said.

He added that the Houthis continue to use Hodeidah Port to smuggle arms and destabilize the region and the world.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.