Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Saudi Arabia Condemns Terror Attack in North Sinai

Egyptian military vehicles in Sinai. (Reuters)

Saudi Arabia condemned on Saturday that terrorist attack in Egypt’s North Sinai region, reported the Saudi Press Agency.

An official source at the Foreign Ministry reiterated the Kingdom’s solidarity with Cairo in its war on terrorism, offering its condolence to the families of the victims, government and people of Egypt.

Fifteen Egyptian military personnel were killed or wounded in a clash on Saturday in Arish in North Sinai in which seven terrorists were also killed, the Egyptian military said.

ISIS later claimed responsibility for the attack on its news agency AMAQ.

Security forces launched a campaign a year ago against extremists focused on Egypt’s Sinai peninsula, and say they have killed several hundred militants since then.

“Combing operations and the pursuit and elimination of the terrorist elements in the area where the incident took place is ongoing,” the military spokesman said in a statement.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.