Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Sauber to give Calderon more F1 test experience

(Reuters) - Sauber will give Colombian Tatiana Calderon her second Formula One test outing in a 2013 car at Ferrari's Fiorano circuit this weekend, the Swiss-based team said on Thursday.

The 25-year-old last month became the first Latin American woman to drive a Formula One car in an official capacity when she drove the 2018 car on a filming day at Mexico City's Hermanos Rodriguez circuit.

Sauber said in a statement that Calderon would test the Ferrari-powered V8-engined C32 car on Saturday and Sunday "to advance in her learning process and development".

The Colombian is hoping to compete in Formula Two, the rung below Formula One, next year. The Formula One season ends in Abu Dhabi next week.

Backed by the team's Mexican sponsor Telmex, she is the first woman to drive a current Formula One car since Britain's now-retired Susie Wolff, who took part in two grand prix practice sessions for Williams.

Formula One has not had a woman driver start a grand prix since Italian Lella Lombardi in 1976.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ed Osmond)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.