Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
Jon Sharman

Sao Paulo fire: At least one killed after tower block collapses

At least one person has died after a tower block caught fire and collapsed fire in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

The abandoned building, 26 storeys high, was occupied by squatters and firefighters warned the death toll could rise.

Flames were said to have taken hold on the fourth or sixth floor at about 1.30am local time on Tuesday.

The building, a former headquarters of the federal police, collapsed about less than 90 minutes later.

According to one resident of a neighbouring building, the “majority” of a reported 150 people were evacuated before the collapse.

Romulo de Souza, 49, added that neighbours believed the fire may have been started by a gas leak.

Firefighter Lieutenant Andre Elias told Globo TV that at least one person had been killed in the collapse. Authorities were working to locate several others who were missing.

Chunks of flaming debris crashed into nearby buildings as the tower collapsed. Video showed dust, flames and sparks flying into the air.

Firefighters believe clearing the rubble, which was still smouldering hours afterward, could take days.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.