Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Matthew Kelly

Sand exploration licence sought for Stockton renourishment

A dredger pumping sand at the Gold Coast in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games. Picture: RN Dredging

An application for an offshore exploration licence to locate sand suitable for the replenishment of Stockton Beach is expected to be approved early in the new year.

The Department of Regional NSW applied for the offshore exploration licence on behalf of the state government. If granted, it will allow exploration work to be carried out and determine if an identified source of sand off the coast of Stockton is suitable.

The licence application was among the items discussed at Tuesday's meeting of the Stockton Beach Taskforce.

"Offshore dredging has been identified as a potential method of securing the large volume of sand needed to restore Stockton Beach and an area off the coast of Stockton Beach has been identified as a potential source of that large volume of sand," Deputy Premier John Barilaro, who chaired the meeting, said.

"If granted, exploration work would be carried out under strict licensing conditions and in a way that would ensure the environment and marine life is protected.

"It is important to note that all other parts of NSW's coastal waters not covered by this specific offshore exploration licence application remain reserved and will not be impacted."

Under current legislation, offshore sand is classified as a mineral and its exploration and recovery from NSW coastal waters requires an exploration licence and mining licence respectively, under the Offshore Minerals Act 1999.

Newcastle MP Tim Crakanthorp said he was pleased with the taskforce's progress.

"Ten months ago I approached the Deputy Premier about helping us out and since then we have already identified a potential sand source and lodged an application for an offshore exploration licence," he said.

"This is something the community and I have been working on for such a long time so take this next step forward is a fantastic feeling."

Tuesday's taskforce meeting also discussed a feasibility assessment of a Hunter River sand source being considered for a funding application by the City of Newcastle, the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment and the Hunter and Central Coast Development Corporation.

For faster access to the latest Newcastle news download our NEWCASTLE HERALD APP and sign up for breaking news, sport and what's on sent directly to your email

IN THE NEWS

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.