Josh McCown believes Sam Darnold is ready to be the Jets' starting quarterback.
That statement is a testament to not only Darnold's maturity and skills, but to McCown's professionalism.
The 16-year veteran, who was the Jets' starting QB last year, has been nothing but supportive of Darnold. McCown has been in the rookie's ear, giving him advice and helping him throughout his first NFL training camp and preseason.
All the time together during OTAs and training camp, and seeing how Darnold has prepared, are why McCown believes the rookie is ready.
"I think (it's) the work ethic we put in that room, the time and the diligence he's had on a daily basis to commit himself to getting better," McCown said following the Jets' one-point loss to the Eagles in Thursday's preseason finale. "He works so hard it and he just spends the extra time. He's able to take what we've done, the extra work we put in and it manifests itself on the field. He's done that very early. All that time will be well served.
"I know whatever the decision is made it will be made in the best interest of the team, and if either one of our numbers are called we'll be ready to go. I have no doubt if it goes that way Sam will be ready."
The only thing left is for Todd Bowles to officially name Darnold the starter for the Sept. 10 Monday night opener at Detroit.
Bowles said he would talk to both players and the coaches before he makes his decision and announces it. But everything is trending in Darnold's direction.
The Jets are off until Monday when they return to practice. But it is a busy weekend for GM Mike Maccagnan and Bowles.
They have to make cuts by 4 p.m. Saturday to get the roster down to 53 players, and already began the process Friday. There aren't expected to be any surprises as many of the positions are pretty set. But the Jets will look to add players either through waivers _ they are sixth in claim order _ or trades.
It's hardly a secret that they need an edge rusher, and the name on everyone's lips is Khalil Mack, who remains away from the Raiders as negotiations for a new contract have ground to a halt.
"You're always looking all year, every year," Bowles said. "But it's more Mike's department. We'll see what's available to him or if he comes down asking about somebody, we'll discuss it. If not, we'll just keep status quo.
Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald agreeing to a record six-year, $135-million deal, including $87 million guaranteed, put the Raiders on the clock to make a move with Mack. If they can't sign him, the Jets have assets to make a deal and the salary-cap room going forward to give Mack a huge contract.
The Jets already made one significant trade this week, sending quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and a sixth-round pick to the Saints for a third-rounder. Many see that as a precursor to a bigger deal. With a first-rounder and two thirds Maccagnan is armed with some nice trade chips.
Reportedly, the Raiders are seeking at least two first-round picks for Mack. That's a hefty price that could make the Jets balk. But Mack, a former Defensive Player of the Year, is the kind of game-changer on defense the Jets and many teams need.
The Jets also would like to add some quality help and depth to their offensive line, one of their weakest links. They could grab someone off waivers Sunday if they believe he can help. Other than a pass rusher, a priority for the Jets has to be making sure Darnold has good protection.
"Obviously, we have to wait to see what's out there," Bowles said about potential waiver claims. "We're not just going to bring in anybody, but if there's someone who interests us and we think can help upgrade our roster, we'll definitely try and bring them in."