Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Owen Bowcott Legal affairs correspondent

Sally Challen released from jail before retrial for husband's killing

Georgina Challen
Georgina Challen, who is known as Sally. Photograph: Surrey police/PA

A woman accused of killing her husband in a hammer attack has been freed from prison on bail as she awaits a fresh trial for murder.

Georgina Challen, known as Sally, admitted killing her husband, Richard, in August 2010, but pleaded not guilty to murder. She was found guilty but her conviction was quashed earlier this year and she has since pleaded guilty to manslaughter. She faces a retrial for murder this summer.

Challen, 65, of Claygate, Surrey, who had been held at HMP Bronzefield, appeared at the Old Bailey via video link on Friday. She spoke to confirm her identity and enter her plea.

Mr Justice Edis granted Challen conditional bail after an application by the defence lawyer, Clare Wade QC. He said the defendant should be released from custody after midday on Saturday.

On Friday evening, Challen’s son David revealed via Twitter that his mother had already been released.

The judge confirmed the trial would be transferred to the Old Bailey, setting a further hearing on 7 June and a trial on 1 July “if necessary”.

Challen was jailed for life for the murder of the 61-year-old former car dealer following a trial at Guildford crown court in 2011.

In February, her conviction was quashed and a retrial was ordered at the court of appeal, in light of new evidence relating to Challen’s state of mind at the time of the killing and the issue of coercive control.

On Friday, the prosecutor, Joel Smith, pointed out the size of the public gallery in court one, saying it was a better venue “given the attention this matter has attracted so far”.

Challen, a former Police Federation worker, was supported in court by her son David.

Speaking outside court, David Challen said: “Today we are overjoyed that bail has been granted for our mother and she will be now released back to us. Our mother now rejoins our family.”

Asked what it will be like when she walks out of prison on Saturday, he said: “It’s a massive moment.” He added: “It’s a happy day for us, we get to see her again.”

Challen, who said he had not yet spoken to his mother following the hearing, said the family were looking forward to “being together again after so long”.

The defendant’s brother, Chris Jenney, said: “The family are all supporting Sally. We have done from day one. Our strength’s built and will build even further. This is a fantastic day for us.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.