Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Sport
Aaron Bower

Salford Red Devils' plunged into fresh crisis after Covid-19 outbreak

Salford Red Devils trained with just seven players on Wednesday due to the Covid-19 outbreak which caused two of their recent fixtures to be postponed - but head coach Richard Marshall insists he will be able to field a team to face Castleford Tigers this weekend.

After the Red Devils' matches with Hull FC and Wakefield were called off last week, Salford are set to return to action on Sunday when they face the Tigers, who are preparing for next weekend's Challenge Cup final with St Helens.

But Marshall revealed on Wednesday that with the club still suffering from the after-effects of five positive tests in their playing group, they were barely able to hold a training session just four days out from this weekend's match.

“We’ve got five players positive and around 10 or 11 isolating," Marshall said. "We’ve had seven players in training today.”

However, Marshall promised that with those isolating set to return by the end of the week, he is confident Salford will not face another postponement.

“We’re hopeful the guys in isolation will be out on Friday and back in training," he said. "We’re not going to make any excuses though, we’ll be fielding a team on Sunday to beat Castleford.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.