Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Matthew Kelly

Sailor given all-clear following COVID-19 infection

A COVID-positive crew member of a coal ship that berthed in Newcastle last week has been discharged from hospital.

Nursing staff swabbed the 14 crew members from the Anacapa Light when it arrived from Brisbane last Thursday.

One of the crew, a man in his 20s, tested positive for COVID-19.

Follow-up testing revealed the man had an old infection.

"The crew member is well and has not been infectious since arriving in Australia from overseas," Hunter New England Public Health Controller Dr David Durrheim said.

"All other crew members have been tested and have returned negative results. They have been informed they are no longer required to isolate.

"It is important to note this case presented no COVID-19 risk to the people of Newcastle."

The incident resulted in the ship being relocated from the Channel Berth to Dyke 4 berth.

It is now due to leave Newcastle bound for Indonesia early on Monday.

Meanwhile NSW has recorded five new cases of COVID-19 as the cluster at a private clinic grows and patients at a radiology practice are warned to monitor their health for symptoms.

One of the new coronavirus cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday was a social contact of a previously confirmed case from an unknown source in Sydney.

Another is linked to the Liverpool private clinic cluster and a third locally acquired case is under investigation, with people who were at Lakemba Radiology on October 1 told they are now casual contacts of a known case.

The two other cases were diagnosed in overseas travellers who are in hotel quarantine.

It comes after a nurse working at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney tested positive to the virus.

NSW Health's Dr Michael Douglas said the nurse is believed to have acquired coronavirus outside hospital.

"The nurse provided specialised care to a single patient, and had limited contact with a very small number of colleagues," NSW Health said in a statement on Sunday.

A second case recorded on Saturday is believed to be linked to the nurse.

NSW Health has also updated previous casual contact advice for passengers on a bus from Central Station at 11.48pm on October 4 arriving Strathfield 12.15am on October 5.

This bus was a train replacement service. All passengers on the bus are now considered close contacts and are advised to immediately get tested for COVID-19 and self-isolate for 14 days from the time of travel.

Passengers should remain isolated for the full 14 days regardless of their test result.

Unlicenced driver charged after $40,000 crash into house

NSW records five new coronavirus cases

2Pops honey: when retirees don't want to be bored

Cessnock progress to Real NRL grand final after second-half blitz

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.