Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Jessica Sansome

Ryanair strikes update: Pilots blocked from walking out following injunction ruling

Ryanair pilots have been blocked from walking out of their jobs this week following injunction ruling.

Dublin High Court has approved an application by the airline to stop proposed strike action on Thursday and Friday this week.

Justice McDonald told the court that he would approve the injunction which will prevent around 180 pilots in Ireland from undertaking the 48-hour strike.

He said he was restraining the pilots' union Forsa "from directly or indirectly, organising, directing or endorsing their members to participate in a strike on August 22 or 23 2019".

Irish pilots for the budget airline announced earlier this month that they would join strike action over a long-running dispute about pay and working conditions.

Ryanair took court action against Forsa the parent union of the Irish Airline Pilots' Association (IALPA) - arguing in that balloted strike action from some of their pilots was unlawful.

Ryanair pilots wanted to walk out on Thursday and Friday (Niall Carson/PA Wire)

'Directly-employed Ryanair pilots' based in Ireland voted 94% to back industrial action over the long-running dispute.

Ryanair argued that strike action would be in breach of an agreement both parties signed up to in the summer of 2018 through mediation in the Workplace Relations Commission through then-chairman Kieran Mulvey.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.