Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Russia Says it Repelled Nusra Attack on Hmeimim

Warplanes at the Hmeimim air base. AP file photo

Russia's Ministry of Defense said on Monday that it had repelled a drone and missile attack on its main air base in Syria's Latakia Province and accused former Nusra Front militants of being behind the assault.

The RIA news agency cited the ministry as saying it had shot down six missiles fired at the Hmeimim air base.

Syrian regime forces have unilaterally ceased fire in the northern Idlib province, the last major opposition stronghold, Russia said Sunday, while activists reported continued shelling and airstrikes.

Fighting erupted in Idlib late last month, effectively shattering a ceasefire negotiated by Russia and Turkey that had been in place since September.

In a brief statement on Sunday, the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of the Warring Sides in Syria said regime forces had ceased fire as of midnight. It described the move as unilateral, but did not give details.

But the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported an airstrike on the town of Khan Sheikhoun, saying it inflicted casualties.

The opposition's Syrian Civil Defense also reported shelling near the town of Jisr al-Shughour without reporting any casualties.

Syrian regime forces intensified their attacks as of April 30 on Idlib. The area is home to some 3 million people, many of whom are internally displaced.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.