Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport
Alan Baldwin

Russell confident in Williams seat despite Perez speculation

Formula One F1 - Portuguese Grand Prix - Algarve International Circuit, Portimao, Portugal - October 22, 2020 Williams' George Russell during the press conference FIA/Handout via REUTERS

George Russell said on Thursday he was confident he would be racing for Williams in Formula One next year despite media speculation linking Mexican Sergio Perez to his seat.

The young Briton is backed by engine supplier Mercedes, with whom he has a long-term contract, and has a deal with Williams for 2021.

The struggling former champions, last in the standings in 2019 and without a point so far this year, changed ownership in August.

Perez, who is making way at Racing Point (Aston Martin in 2021) for four-times world champion Sebastian Vettel, has strong financial backing as well as a good record of points and podiums.

"I have a contract for next year. With the new owners coming in, nothing has changed whatsoever from a contractual perspective," Russell, who has yet to score a point in Formula One, told reporters at the Portuguese Grand Prix.

"I’ve actually not spoken to the new owners about it because, from my side, there’s no concern.

"They’ll all be here this weekend. I’m sure any air will be cleared, but I’m not concerned and I will be on the grid next year with Williams."

Russell said there was always bound to be speculation with so many drivers available and fighting for a seat for 2021.

The highly rated driver, who won the F2 championship in 2018, said he was in weekly contact with Mercedes and well-placed in the long-term.

"Ultimately, Formula One is about the best of the best and you always want positions to be purely based on talent and performance," he said.

Canadian team mate Nicholas Latifi was also confident about his seat.

Perez, who has been linked to the Haas team as well, skirted the speculation.

"I think we've got to be respectful to all the teams we are talking to so there's no point to discuss anything at the moment," he said, while recognising there were few options out there.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.