Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Chris Solari

Running back LJ Scott will return to Michigan State, which Dantonio knew

SAN DIEGO _ LJ Scott threw his wristbands into the crowd. He started to jog off the field, and he returned to greet Madre London and see friends and family in the stands.

Scott did not want to leave the San Diego County Credit Union Stadium field after a 42-17 Holiday Bowl win over Washington State. And he does not plan to leave Michigan State yet, either.

The junior running back said Thursday he will not leave a year early for the NFL draft and plans to return to the Spartans next season.

"Yes sir, I'll be back there in East Lansing next year," said Scott, who ran for 110 yards and two touchdowns in the 16th-ranked Spartans' victory, including a 28-yard TD in the fourth quarter.

That was not a surprise to coach Mark Dantonio, other than Scott making his decision public.

"That's good for me to hear, certainly," he said with a grin. "We talked, we did have a talk, but that was not for me to say or for me to say to anybody else. So I kept it quiet and let him go forth.

"I think it's important to note that LJ Scott had a 3.5 grade-point average this semester. He's on track to getting his degree, and leaving early would put that on hold a little longer. I think he could be a tremendous tailback, a guy that we can hand the ball to 250 times and do great things."

It also was not news to wide receiver Felton Davis, who said Scott told him after the Spartans' win at Minnesota on Oct. 14 that he wanted to stay at MSU. He called Scott "one of my closest friends."

"Michigan State is a great place, and I knew he loved everybody that's here," Davis said. "We had unfinished business, let alone his individual stats, but team goals, you know. We had a lot of unfinished business to take care of, so I knew he would come back."

Davis, who caught four passes for 118 yards and a touchdown, also could have left a year early for the NFL. He said earlier this month that he will return to MSU for his senior season.

"I haven't really thought about anything that way," Davis said on Dec. 18. "My season was pretty good, but I don't feel like it was where I know I can be. I'm just scratching the surface of my potential."

Both players will join quarterback Brian Lewerke among the Spartans' offensive playmakers next season. Lewerke said he did not find out about Scott's decision until shortly after Thursday's win and Holiday Bowl trophy presentations.

"It's good to have him back. Obviously, it's awesome," said Lewerke, who was the game's offensive MVP. "We'll have a lot of guys returning because we were so young."

Dantonio said it reminds him of the end of the 2014 season, when both Shilique Calhoun and Connor Cook returned to MSU. The Spartans went to the College Football Playoff semifinal in 2015.

"They followed with a Big Ten championship ring, and I think those things become possible (next year)," Dantonio said. "We have an established tailback coming back, and he's a special player."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.