Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Entertainment
Neil Shaw & Elle May Rice

Rules for England's pubs and restaurants changed until at least March 2022

Major changes for pubs and bars are due to be extended in an effort to give reassurance to the hospitality industry.

The provisions allowing all pubs to serve takeaway food and alcohol will be extended by the Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick.

Pubs, bars and restaurants were forced to close across England last week as a second national lockdown began, but the new regulations allow takeaway alcohol to be served as long as it is pre-ordered online, via phone or post.

The automatic takeaway permissions established during the first lockdown back in March are due to be renewed for another year, and Mr Jenrick said his department will look into whether this one-size-fits-all approach should become the norm.

It means businesses will not need to go through a planning application process to provide takeaway, with the exemption being extended until March 23 2022, reports WalesOnline.

Kate Nicholls, chief executive of UKHospitality, said: “The ability to provide takeaway services was a valuable lifeline for many hospitality venues, not just during the lockdown but in the days of reduced and restricted trade, too.

“The extension will undoubtedly help many. For pubs, restaurants and cafes to operate as takeaways gives them a previously untapped revenue stream and a much better chance to survive what will be a tough winter.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.