Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Dublin Live
Dublin Live
National
Sandra Mallon

RTE confirm they won't show controversial documentary everyone is talking about

RTE has said it has no plans to air the BBC’s documentary about drug mule Michaella McCollum.

The 28-year-old served more than two years in a hellhole jail in Peru after she was found with €1.6 million worth of cocaine in 2013 with Scottish accomplice Melissa Reid.

She released a new edition of her memoirs last week, now calling her book High — the same title as the documentary series which aired on BBC3 on Sunday.

But a spokesman for RTE said the national broadcaster has “no plans” to air the series here.

However, it is understood BBC3 acquired the exclusive rights to show it for 12 months and has yet to offer it to RTE — so it could air on the national broadcaster in the future.

In 2017, RTE was accused of doing a “soft soap” interview with Michaella after her release from prison, which caused uproar amongst TV licence payers at the time after they thought she had been paid.

But she said she hadn’t been paid for the interview with RTE.

RTE refused to say whether or not it paid the McCollum family a fee or expenses or if money was paid to the Michaella McCollum fund.

Michaella said at the time: “I did do an interview with RTE but they never paid me anything.

"I thought this is a good way to just say I’m sorry, I know I’ve done something wrong.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.