Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Zoe Forsey

Royals haven't contacted Meghan Markle since Oprah interview, says pal

The royal family haven't contacted Meghan Markle since she made a series of shocking allegations about them in her interview with Oprah Winfrey, a friend has claimed.

The Duchess of Sussex made claims about racism within the family and said she wasn't allowed to get help for her mental health during her time as a working royal when she sat down with the TV legend earlier this month.

Her friend Gayle King said that while Harry has spoken to Prince Charles and Prince William, nobody from the family has reached out to Meghan.

Gayle also claimed that Meghan and Harry are finding the stories published since the interview "upsetting".

Speaking on her CBS programme This Morning, Gayle said: "No one in the royal family has spoken to Meghan yet.

Meghan made claims about Kate in her interview with Oprah (ABACA/PA Images)

"I think what is still upsetting to them is that the Palace keeps saying they want to work it out privately but yet they release these false stories that are coming out that are very disparaging against Meghan still.

"And I think it's frustrating to them to see that it's a racial conversation about the royal family when all they wanted all along was for the royals to intervene and tell the press to stop with the unfair, inaccurate, false stories that definitely have a racial slant.

"And until you can acknowledge that, I think it's going to be hard to move forward. But they both want to move forward with this, at the end of the day it's Harry's family."

There have been tensions between the two couples (Getty Images)

However she confirmed that Harry has spoken to members of the family, but says the conversation didn't go well.

She said:  "The word I was given, those conversations were not productive.

"But they are glad they at least started a conversation."

Speaking more generally about the fall out from the interview, Gayle praised Meghan and said anyone who has worked with her knows she's a "sweet caring person".

Meghan and Harry made a series of claims (Harpo Productions/ITV)

She also claims Meghan "has documents" to back everything she said in her interview up.

Gayle said: "The family has to acknowledge that there are issues and right now no one is acknowledging. That's all they want, they want a conversation. They both want a conversation."

Prince Charles is said to be extremely upset by his son's claims, especially his allegations that he cut Harry off financially.

Harry said he felt "let down" by his father as he told how, during his time in Canada, his dad wouldn't answer his calls following the split from the family.

He said: "I had three conversations with my grandmother and two conversations with my father and – before he stopped taking my calls – he said, 'Can you put all this in writing what your plan is?'."

He said he and Charles have a lot to work through as "a lot of hurt has happened".

He claimed that he and Meghan had to leave the royal family along with their child, Archie, due to a “lack of support lack or understanding.”

A friend of the Prince of Wales told the Mail on Sunday : "You are looking at a father who is deeply hurt by where he finds his relationship with his son. 

"But, after much reflection, he also realises that nothing good will come of prolonging the fight. He feels it is time to heal. Now is the time to mend a broken relationship."

The friend spoke of Camilla's concerns about how upset her husband was – and said there must now also be a conversation between Harry and his brother Prince William.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.