Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Rustin Dodd

Royals closer Wade Davis says he might have returned too soon

Royals closer Wade Davis conceded Tuesday that he might have rushed his return from a forearm strain after the All-Star break, leading to a recurrence of the injury last week.

Davis was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a flexor strain on Sunday. The Royals said the injury is similar to the one that led to a stint on the disabled list in early July.

"I think I might have," Davis said, emphasizing it was his decision. "I might have made the decision [to come back too soon]."

Davis spent just 15 days on the disabled list before returning on July 16. He logged five outings before reporting symptoms in his forearm. In hindsight, Davis said, perhaps he should have thrown a couple more side sessions or live batting practice before returning.

Davis said there was no timetable for a return. The Royals are hopeful he could be back in about two weeks. As of Monday, Davis had yet to pick up a baseball. He expressed relief that the MRI revealed no structural damage to his elbow. According to Davis, the MRI matched up with ones he has had in the past.

"We're just doing treatment right now," Davis said. "I won't pick up a ball for a couple days."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.