Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

Royal household split: Prince Harry and Meghan go it alone

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, stand with Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, and Britain's Prince William at Westminster Abbey for a Commonwealth Day service in London, Britain March 11, 2019. Richard Pohle/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

(This March 14 story corrects Frogmore House details in last paragraph)

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Prince Harry and his pregnant wife Meghan are to set up their own household, breaking away from the joint operation they shared with the Harry's elder brother William and his wife Kate, Buckingham Palace said on Thursday.

Harry and Meghan, known officially as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have shared staff with William and Kate since their marriage in May last year. Queen Elizabeth has now agreed to allow them to set up a new base at Buckingham Palace this Spring.

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, visit the Moroccan Royal Federation of Equitation Sports in Rabat, Morocco, February 25, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah Mckay/Pool/File Photo

"The Duke of Sussex currently has his own private office, which has been supporting the Duchess since the engagement of Their Royal Highnesses in November 2017," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.

"This long-planned move will ensure that permanent support arrangements for The Duke and Duchess’s work are in place as they start their family and move to their official residence at Frogmore Cottage."

British newspapers have reported since the end of last year that there had been a rift between the two couples, although there has been no public indication of any feud. Earlier this week, the foursome appeared on good terms when they appeared together at a Commonwealth Day service in London.

The change comes as former U.S. actress Meghan is due to give birth to her first child with the queen's grandson this Spring. The couple are also in the process of moving from a cottage in the grounds of Kensington Palace, where William and Kate live, to a new home on the royal family’s Windsor Estate.

After their dazzling wedding ceremony at Windsor Castle, the couple held the evening reception at Frogmore House, part of a royal family residence since the 18th century. Their new home, Frogmore Cottage, is on the grounds of the estate.

(Reporting by Michael Holden; editing by Stephen Addison)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.