Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Guardian sport

Roy Jones Jr returns to ring to beat fan by technical knockout in second round

Roy Jones Jr
Roy Jones Jr hinted that he may continue fighting despite his age and the devastating knockout he suffered at the hands of Enzo Maccarinelli last year. Photograph: Ed Mulholland/WireImage

Roy Jones Jr stepped back into the ring on Sunday night to beat a boxing fan with a second-round knockout in the latest instalment of the veteran’s faltering career.

Jones’s opponent, Vyron Phillips, won the right to fight the 47-year-old having been selected from 1,500 entries through a vote on Facebook, and was due a $100,000 payout if he won the contest staged in Phoenix, Arizona.

Phillips, a 33-year-old MMA fighter with no professional boxing experience, was caught late in the first round but continued into the second where he was quickly knocked to ground. With Phillips unable to carry on, the referee stepped in and ended the contest.

The bout was sanctioned by Arizona State Boxing and headlined a pay-per-view bill on the American television channel UR Shows TV. Jones, who became a Russian citizen last year, afterwards avoided calling an end to his fighting days.

“I don’t have anything planned,” said Jones, who was brutally knocked out by Britain’s Enzo Maccarinelli last year. “You just never know what’s going to happen.”

Phillips said he had idolised his legendary opponent as a child but advised him to hang up his gloves. “I’d like to see Roy go away from this,” he said. “Maybe coach. I don’t want to see him get hurt.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.