Former One Nation senator Rod Culleton was treated for a suspected broken wrist after allegedly being assaulted outside a Perth court.
Culleton had been in court seeking a restraining order against two men when he was approached outside of court and allegedly assaulted on Tuesday, a spokeswoman said. She said he fell after being chased along the street.
A spokesman for Western Australian police said they were called to an assault outside of the Kings hotel, near Perth magistrates court, at 10.40am but when they arrived they were told the victim had taken himself to hospital.
He said the victim had reportedly been taken to Royal Perth hospital. Culleton’s spokeswoman said he was undergoing x-rays and may have a broken wrist.
Culleton was declared bankrupt by the federal court in Perth last month, which would disqualify him from parliament. Culleton vowed to appeal at the time and said he would still stand as a senator and “fight it to the end”.
The leader of One Nation, Pauline Hanson, has said that Culleton is not a team player and the party has been unable to work with him. Culleton quit the party soon after his remarks citing “un-Australian behaviour”.