Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Brian Barefield

Rockets Stephen Silas says Kevin Porter Jr. will learn from suspension

On Monday, the Houston Rockets announced the one-game suspension of starters Christian Wood and Kevin Porter Jr. for the game against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Both players were disciplined for separate actions, Porter Jr. for his alleged verbal altercation and object throwing towards Rockets assistant coach John Lucas and Wood for his refusal to reenter Saturday’s game in the second half against the Denver Nuggets.

Rockets head coach Stephen Silas took the podium Monday before the game against the Philadelphia 76ers. He confirmed the suspension of both players while also offering some minor details about what happened on New Year’s Day.

At the end of the press conference, coach Silas was questioned about how Porter Jr. could overcome this adversity and move forward:

He is emotional; he is a competitor; he is a good kid; he owns up to his mistakes when he makes them and tries not to make them again. That is pretty much all you can ask for from a guy. We put a lot into him, and we knew he had a past before he came here.

We hold everybody accountable for what they do, and he crossed the line, and he will be back. We will still love him and grow with him, and everything will be ok. For this to be blown out of proportion, and it should not be, it should be a bump in the road, and we continue. If you really love somebody, you don’t take one instance and say that’s it. You love them, and when stuff like this happens, you love them even more.

Porter was selected in the first round of the 2019 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks and then traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers. He played 50 games for Cleveland before being placed on the inactive list at the beginning of the 2020-21 season.

The Rockets acquired Porter from the Cavaliers in January 2021 after an outburst in the locker room involving Cleveland’s general manager Koby Altman. He played in 23 games for Houston, recording 20 starts.

The Rockets decided to give Porter complete control over the team on the court when they named him a starter at the point guard position. This spot was previously held by veteran John Wall, who is still with the team but has agreed to sit out until they find a suitable place for him to play.

During Rockets Media Day in October 2021, Porter told reporters that the Rockets organization saved his life. He expressed how he changed his interactions with people and reacts to certain situations.

Houston has yet to announce if Wood and Porter will be available for Wednesday’s game in Washington against the Wizards.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.