Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Dennis Young

Roberto Alomar fired by MLB after sexual misconduct investigation

Roberto Alomar was fired by MLB and placed on the sport’s ineligible list Friday after an investigation into sexual misconduct.

Alomar was fired after “an allegation of sexual misconduct reported by a baseball industry employee earlier this year involving Mr. Alomar in 2014,” the MLB commissioner’s office said in a statement.

Alomar had been working as a consultant to commissioner Rob Manfred, tasked with developing baseball in Puerto Rico.

The Toronto Blue Jays, one of the seven teams Alomar played for in his Hall of Fame career, said they were completely cutting ties with him, including pulling down his retired number.

Alomar spent two of the last years of his career with the Mets.

The Hall of Fame, while “shocked and saddened,” said that Alomar was eligible when elected in 2011 and will therefore remain in the Hall.

Alomar may be sued over the incident, according to a TSN report.

In his own statement, Alomar complained without denying wrongdoing.

“I am disappointed, surprised, and upset with today’s news,” he said. “With the current social climate, I understand why Major League Baseball has taken the position they have.

“My hope is that this allegation can be heard in a venue that will allow me to address the accusation directly,” Alomar said.

Alomar, 53, was accused of domestic violence by his ex-wife in 2010.

“Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB’s policies,” Manfred said in his statement.

MLB said they would not make any more information public “in order to respect the privacy of the individual who came forward.”

The commissioner’s investigations of sexual misconduct are notoriously glacial. While the “current social climate” Alomar references includes a spate of ex-Mets accused of being sexual harassers and worse, the Mickey Callaway investigation is still ongoing, three months after the news of it broke.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.