Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Sport
Phil Blanche

Robert Page knows Gareth Bale will be ‘100 per cent’ ready for Wales’ play-offs

PA Wire

Wales boss Robert Page insists Gareth Bale will prove his fitness for the World Cup play-offs whether he is playing for Real Madrid or not.

Bale has made only three appearances for Real this term, his last coming on August 28, since returning from last season’s loan spell at Tottenham.

The 32-year-old forward, who is in the final year of his Real contract, has actually played more for Wales this season, with his last four appearances on international duty.

Fit-again Gareth Bale has made only three appearances for Real Madrid this season (Nick Potts/PA) (PA Archive)

Bale suffered a hamstring injury in September and then picked up a calf complaint after winning his 100th Wales cap against Belarus last month, but he has returned to full training ahead of Sunday’s Madrid derby with Atletico.

Page, who is already planning for the March play-offs, said: “We have never had the luxury of Gareth being guaranteed time on the field at club level.

“For me, it is not vitally important that he is playing at club level.

“It helps, of course it does. You want players to be playing their domestic football when they come into camp.

Wales manager Robert Page is confident Bale will be firing on all cylinders in the World Cup play-offs in March (Nick Potts/PA) (PA Wire)

“But we have had this situation in the past with him and yet he’s come in, performed fantastically well, and we have won matches.”

Page’s comments on Bale are at odds with remarks he made after Wales secured home advantage in the play-offs by drawing with Belgium last month.

On that occasion he suggested Aaron Ramsey, Neco Williams and Joe Rodon needed game-time in club football and said he would “encourage them to go and play at their parent club or elsewhere” ahead of the January transfer window.

But on his skipper Bale, Page added: “World-class players set high standards for themselves and they make sure they are ready, whatever else might be going on.

“So, I am not overly concerned. Gareth is a fit lad and looks after himself extremely well.

“He will be ready to go in March. I know that, 100 per cent.”

Wales will discover next year’s Nations League opponents on Thursday.

England, world champions France and European Championship winners Italy are all potential League A opponents following Wales’ 2020 promotion into the top tier.

World-class players set high standards for themselves and they make sure they are ready, whatever else might be going on

Robert Page on Gareth Bale

But Page says it is the World Cup that is focusing minds with Wales two games away from what would be only their second finals, and their since 1958.

Wales will be at home to Austria in the play-offs on March 24 with the winners hosting Scotland or Ukraine for a place in Qatar five days later.

“The players are all very positive about the draw and now we have got the two home games, which is great,” Page said.

“The work and the analysis has started. We will go through all the planning and detail for those matches.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.