Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By James Hancock

Robert Doyle sexual harassment investigation no closer to completion

Robert Doyle resigned as lord mayor earlier this month and was admitted to hospital.

No progress has been made in the past fortnight towards finalising an investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Melbourne's former lord mayor, a Melbourne City Council meeting has heard.

Robert Doyle resigned earlier this month and was admitted to hospital due to ill health after receiving a draft copy of the interim report by Dr Ian Freckleton QC.

Mr Doyle strongly denied allegations including indecent assault, misconduct and sexual harassment made by two councillor colleagues.

The Victorian Health Department is conducting its own investigation into separate harassment allegations related to his former role as Melbourne Health chairman.

Two weeks ago, the council's CEO Ben Rimmer told a committee meeting that he wanted the investigation to be finalised "as soon as possible".

"The resignation of the former lord mayor does not change the investigation process or timeline," Mr Rimmer previously said.

At the same meeting, Melbourne city councillor Cathy Oke, who accused Mr Doyle of sexual harassment, expressed "deep frustration" at the pace of an investigation into the matter.

"Without a conclusion I continue to feel disempowered to speak, nor have the ability to speak up for a colleague who is very brave," she said.

But on Tuesday night, Mr Rimmer updated the latest meeting to say the status of the investigation had not changed in the past fortnight.

He added that work to determine the facts was still happening "under the surface".

When asked whether the delay was due to Mr Doyle's bad health, he declined to comment.

"I'm afraid I can't comment on that," he told the meeting.

Mr Rimmer previously said that Mr Doyle was the only person outside of the investigation team who had seen the draft report.

A by-election to replace Mr Doyle will be held in May.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.