Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Michael Parris

Robbo: I wish I never, ever went on council

UNGROUPED: Allan Robinson at a council meeting after he was elected in 2012.

Controversial Newcastle councillor Allan Robinson faces an uphill battle to be re-elected next month after failing to secure a candidate grouping in ward four.

Cr Robinson's name will appear on its own on the ward four ballot paper, separate from the grouped Labor, Liberal, Greens and independent tickets.

Voters can choose one of the candidate groups or vote below the line by numbering at least two individual candidates. Those who plump for the ungrouped Cr Robinson will be voting below the line and must also choose at least a second preference or their ballot paper will be declared invalid.

One of Cr Robinson's political rivals wrote off the former jockey's chances of winning a third term on council due to the complications of below-the-line voting.

Cr Robinson, who was elected in 2012, told the Newcastle Herald that he did not know how the voting system would affect his chances.

"I don't give a f---. Mate, I got voted in by the people; I'll get voted out by the people," he said.

"At the end of the day, I wish I never, ever went on council. I haven't got a political bone in my body, but I'm there and I do whatever I can do for anyone who rings me with a problem.

He said the "government" had designed the voting system to stop independent candidates winning.

"The bloke from the local polling booth he said, 'Hey, Robbo, you need to be in a group.' I said I don't want to do a group, mate. If I don't get voted in, I don't get voted in," he said.

The Newcastle Independents alliance dumped the former Footy Show star in July after the council published an investigation report detailing some of the sexist and homophobic comments which led to him receiving a string of conduct censures.

Cr Robinson benefited from the above-the-line voting system in 2017 when he led a ticket of independents which included former NBN newsreader Mike Rabbitt as his No.2.

The group ticket won 4284 above-the-line votes, but Mr Rabbitt proved far more popular with those voting below the line, attracting 1156 votes to Cr Robinson's 270.

Cr Robinson was elected but Mr Rabbitt was not.

Ward two councillor Kath Elliott, who was granted a stay of proceedings last week against a six-week Office of Local Government ban, will contest ward four for the Independents on December 4 in Cr Robinson's stead.

Wallsend businessman and entertainer Wayne Rogers will lead a second ticket of independents in the ward.

Mother of two Deahnna Richardson will top Labor's ticket, Callum Pull is heading the Liberal team and Thomas Levick will lead the ward for the Greens.

In the news

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.