Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Max McKinney

Roadworks delayed after lord mayor's plea to save fig trees

OVERHAUL: An artist's impression of the intersection under a City of Newcastle plan to upgrade Birdwood Park.

Roadworks due to commence this weekend that require the removal of three large fig trees from Birdwood Park in Newcastle West have been postponed.

Parliamentary Secretary for the Hunter Catherine Cusack had issued a media release on Thursday morning saying the works would commence as scheduled, but Transport for NSW confirmed later in the day the works would be delayed.

The delay comes after Newcastle lord mayor Nuatali Nelmes made an 11th-hour bid to save the three trees earlier this week.

The figs are due to make way for a new slip lane for southbound motorists turning left off Stewart Avenue into King Street.

The trees are listed as items of local significance and sit inside the council's Newcastle City Centre Heritage Conservation Area.

Cr Nelmes had wrote to Transport Minister Andrew Constance asking him to delay the work and instruct Transport for NSW to investigate designs which would preserve the trees.

TAKING A STAND: Deputy mayor Declan Clausen and Nuatali Nelmes in front of one of the fig trees at the corner of Stewart Avenue and King Street earlier this week.

Early Thursday, Ms Cusack said the works would begin as planned this weekend.

"A number of options were investigated to select a design offering the required traffic efficiency benefits while minimising the impact to Birdwood Park," she said.

But by mid-afternoon, the state's transport department had pulled the pin on the outlined commencement.

The Newcastle Herald had approached the Transport Minister's office to see if Cr Nelmes' letter had prompted any last-minute changes.

With Mr Constance on leave, Transport for NSW responded to questions and said further discussions would be held with the council about the proposed works.

"Work on the Stewart Avenue and King Street intersection in Newcastle West has been postponed while Transport for NSW finalises arrangements with the City of Newcastle," a spokesperson said, adding the department had "consulted extensively with the City of Newcastle since early 2019 to develop this project".

Cr Nelmes said halting the works was a "great outcome" and the two parties would work to find an option that allows "for the retention of these important trees".

Transport for NSW planned slip lane.
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.