Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
National
Paul Moore

Restaurant boss on expectations from new indoor guidelines as one issue remains

The Chief Executive of the Restaurants Association of Ireland has said there are "some outstanding issues now to finalise with the government officials" ahead of the planned return of indoor hospitality.

Later this afternoon, hospitality chiefs will meet with the Government to finalise plans where it's expected that indoor dining will return to restaurants and pubs from Monday for people who have been fully vaccinated, or recently recovered from the virus.

Ministers are expected to make a final decision tomorrow.

Speaking on Morning Ireland, Adrian Cummins discussed the plans to re-open indoor dining amid ongoing Covid-19 concerns.

During the chat, he said that there is one major issue that's still to be agreed on and it's "around the point at where customers will have to present their verification of vaccination or recovering from COVID certification".

Mr Cummins also elaborated on some of the rules that he expects to be announced either today or tomorrow.

"We expect that the numbers that will sit at tables will not reduce any further and also social distancing will be in place. We expect numbers at tables to stay the same as they were when we did open last year.

"We have a bone of contention with the government and it's around the point at where customers will have to present their verification of vaccination or recovering from Covid certification, especially with businesses that are within food courts, within coffee shops and areas of foodservice where it will add extra employees to have to man this. We have a bone of contention around that where it should be at the point of sale in certain premises," he said.

The Chief Executive of the Restaurants Association also issued a warning to any “rogue operators” in the industry who flaunt the new rules. He said that any businesses that “step out of line” with regard to the new indoor dining guidelines will be shut down immediately.

Mr Cummins also said that any unvaccinated staff will work and adhere to all workplace protocols and allayed any fears that they could be in danger.

“Indoor hospitality has been open since June 2 for hotels across the country and there hasn't been an issue with regard to that.

“When NPHET issued their letter to the Government over two weeks ago, which was at the eleventh hour of the eleventh hour, it was very clear within that how they requested the government to put hospitality on pause, now we are reactivating (the sector), we're looking forward to that," he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.