Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Lorraine Weir

Residents at Dumbarton retirement complex left with no hot water for two weeks

Residents at a retirement complex in Dumbarton were left without hot running water for almost two weeks.

Pensioners staying at the Bield-run Church Court facility were riled by the lack of action to fix the problem and gathered last week to share their concerns.

They say the lack of the basic facility was a major health and safety concern leaving carers with no way of being able to properly scrub their hands, as is required through Covid-safe protocols.

Bosses say repairs to the hot water system were held up due to specialist parts from France taking longer than usual as a result of Brexit.

Concerned Muriel Robertson called the residents’ meeting which the Lennox Herald attended last week.

She told us: “The health and safety of our carers was put at risk with the hot water being off. It’s not safe not having hot water.

“It would be shut down if it was another workplace.

“The provision of hot water is in our tenancy agreement. It’s part of the rent we pay.

“Two months ago, there was a similar problem. They came and fixed it, we had it back on for two days and then it went off again.

“We are delighted about having hot water but we are concerned that it will go off again.”

Another resident told us: “We couldn’t get washed properly and our carers have to be able to scrub their hands but they couldn’t do that properly without hot water.”

And another added: “The carers were having to carry kettles of water to the toilet to clean people and had the kettle in one hand and were supporting the person with the other. That’s not safe.”

A letter issued to residents last Monday from property operations manager Sam Mackenzie explained that the heating contractor had “a few weeks ago” identified an issue with a faulty part.

It went on to explain the part was “very specialised” and had to be ordered from France.

The letter went on to read: “Due to the new customs regulations that we face following Brexit, parts outwith the United Kingdom are taking a little longer to arrive.”

During the meeting, a number of other concerns were brought to light including claims of an insufficient number of washing machines.

Resident Muriel Robertson, 92, called the meeting. (Lennox Herald)

Muriel, 92, went on: “There are problems that need to be looked at and it doesn’t seem to be happening.

“I am a bit peeved with senior management. I think they could be more proactive. The carers do a great job.

“The general public care what’s happening in this place. One of the things people care about is the provision for older people.”

Speaking to us prior to last week’s meeting, fellow resident Ruby Meenan, who has stayed there for nine years, expressed her concerns.

She added: “There are two washing machines for all these flats and often one of them isn’t working. You can never get a washing machine.

“It’s not sufficient.”

Church Court is run by Bield. (Lennox Herald)

The residents were also left concerned after a fire at the facility earlier this year. Following a series of false alarms, the Lennox Herald was told that residents had notes passed through their doors telling them to sit tight if the alarm sounded.

Bield said at the time they were following national protocol.

Matthew Lock, Head of Housing at Bield said: “Many customers in Church Court are served by communal, specialist boiler equipment which provides both heating and hot water. “Regrettably this was affected when a vital component failed, impacting hot water supplies to 36 flats.

“Expert heating contractors immediately identified the problem, but the part needed could only be sourced from a specialist provider in France. Normally this would be resolved with a 24-hour turnaround.

“However, because of a variety of factors outwith our control, including Brexit and the ongoing pandemic, it took two weeks for the part to reach us. It was fitted as soon as it was delivered and normal service was restored.

“During the disrupted period customers did not have access to the hot water they would usually expect, although warm water at 30 degrees was constantly available. “We want to apologise to everyone affected by this unforeseen equipment failure.”

He added that hand sanitiser was available.

On the issue with washing machines, Mr Lock said: “A leaking pipe meant we had to close the development’s laundry room on July 22, because minor flooding created a slipping hazard.

“The problem was quickly identified, repairs were completed on the same day and the laundry room fully reopened on July 23.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.