Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Environment
Antonio Denti

Rescuers retrieve four bodies after Sicily blast; death toll rises to 7

Rescuers work at the site of a gas explosion that caused several houses to collapse in Ravanusa, Italy, December 13, 2021. REUTERS/Guglielmo Mangiapane

Rescuers have pulled four more bodies out of the rubble of houses destroyed by a suspected gas explosion in the Sicilian town of Ravanusa, bringing the total death toll to seven, the fire brigade said on Monday.

Two people are still missing following Saturday's blast, which demolished four houses and badly damaged another three.

Rescuers carry a body on a stretcher at the site of a gas explosion that caused several houses to collapse in Ravanusa, Italy, December 13, 2021. REUTERS/Guglielmo Mangiapane

Sniffer dogs located the four bodies, including a nurse who was nine-months pregnant, in the early hours and emergency services worked through the night to clear away the debris in order to reach them safely.

"The rubble has to be removed carefully piece by piece to avoid other possible collapses, which could hit both the fire-fighters ... but also the people we are looking for," fire service spokesman Luca Cari told Reuters.

Authorities said the deadly explosion was likely triggered by a gas leak, although an investigation was underway to ascertain the cause.

Rescuers work at the site of a gas explosion that caused several houses to collapse in Ravanusa, Italy, December 13, 2021. REUTERS/Guglielmo Mangiapane

"There has been no maintenance for a 100 years ... Sicily has been forgotten," Maria Rallo, a friend of one of the victims, told Reuters.

Gas grid operator Italgas expressed its sorrow and offered condolences to people in Ravanusa. It said its emergency service had received no reports of gas leaks last week.

Ravanusa is a town of about 11,000 people near the southwestern Sicilian city of Agrigento, which is famous for its Greek temples.

A flower is seen amongst the rubble at the site of a gas explosion that caused several houses to collapse in Ravanusa, Italy, December 13, 2021. REUTERS/Guglielmo Mangiapane

Mayor Carmelo D'Angelo said he would spare no effort to rebuild the wrecked homes as soon as possible.

"There are families who have unfortunately lost everything ... in addition to losing their relatives, they have lost their homes, their memories, their photos, even their belongings," he said.

(Additional reporting by Giulia Segreti and Angelo Amante in Rome; Editing by Crispian Balmer)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.