Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
National
Aaron Bunch

Report slams NT youth detention conditions

A new report has detailed conditions at two youth detention centres in the Northern Territory. (AAP)

A significant increase in prisoner numbers and staff shortages at the Northern Territory's two youth detention centres have critically impacted their ability to provide basic services to inmates, a report has found.

Some young people are locked in their cells for more than 23 hours per day at the Don Dale and Alice Springs facilities, the NT's Office of the Children's Commissioner says.

"It is unacceptable that young people are being locked in their rooms for extended periods of time due to shortages in staff," Commissioner Sally Sievers said on Thursday.

The OCC's third independent report into the centres also found both lacked a therapeutic framework to guide operations, which has been an ongoing recommendation since 2020.

"A clear therapeutic model of care is needed to underpin all practice at DDYDC and ASYDC," Ms Sievers said.

"This would significantly increase the safety of both young people and staff and improve the delivery of services."

The OCC team also found inmates were being denied adequate access to education and medical services due to a lack of staff.

The shortages also result in frequent lockdowns and prisoners being confined to their rooms for extended periods of time.

Some inmates were left in their cells for up to 23 hours and 45 minutes per day awaiting medical assessment for self-harm concerns.

"Territory Families, Housing and Communities needs to provide adequate numbers of staff and fully prepare them with trauma-informed training, so that these centres have the ability to help young people address offending behaviour," Ms Sievers said.

The OCC made 25 recommendations, including face-to-face education for all detainees and for an Aboriginal advisory group to be involved in an audit.

There were about 60 young people detained in the NT during the February 2021 reporting period.

About double what it had been 12 months earlier and including an increase in the number of younger children under 14.

The majority were Indigenous Territorians.

In 2017, the final report of a royal commission into the protection and detention of children in the NT revealed systemic and shocking failures, including regular, repeated and distressing mistreatment of young people.

The NT government accepted in full or in principle all 227 recommendations.

Territory Families, Housing and Communities has been contacted for comment.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.